These websites are all excellent early literacy resources for you and your child. Within these websites you can find online activities, stories to enjoy, parent and educator tools, and much more.
- The Adventures of Herman the Worm Meet Herman the Worm and learn more about worms, worm fun facts, worm habitats, and more!
- Between the Lions This animated site offers children a wide variety of games, stories, video clips and other activities that reinforce literacy skills.
- BookHive BookHive, from the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County, contains recommended book reviews and annual booklists for children at various reading levels.
- Boowa and Kwala Boowa and Kwala’s activity site for preschool, kindergarten and primary school children is jam-packed with interactive games, animated stories, and more.
- Exploring Nature Educational Resource Students and educators can use this resource that contains interesting facts about all kinds of nature topics.
- First Palette Find free fun crafts, creative ideas, printable crafts, coloring pages and art lessons for kids of all ages.
- Fun with Spot Fun with Spot is perfect for the youngest computer users in your family! Color pictures, put together puzzles, and make your own Spot story.
Booklists for You and Your Child
- Get Ready to Read! This website has tons of resources to help your child build literacy skills before kindergarten.
- International Children’s Digital Library This quality collection of more than 4500 children’s books features stories in 61 languages from around the globe.
- Reading is Fundamental Reading is Fundamental encourages reading through a wide variety of early literacy skill-building activities, and provides helpful resources for parents and child care professionals.
- Magic Porthole Children can explore coral reefs and oceans through pictures, videos and fun activities.
- Peep and the Big Wide World Children can follow Peep into the Big Wide World through games and activities that focus on science and math topics.
- The Peter Rabbit Website The classic bunny has his own website of games and activities for children.
- Starfall Starfall guides children in learning the alphabet and the sounds in words through a variety of stories and activities.
- Storyline Online At Storyline Online you can listen to Screen Actors Guild members read children’s books aloud, accompanied by the book illustrations.
- StoryPlace: The Children’s Digital Library StoryPlace from the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County has stories and games in both English and Spanish.
- Ziggity Zoom Ziggity Zoom features games, craft activities, stories and play environments that can help children in various areas of development.